[DWJ] Best(etc.) Books of the Year

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 12:27:01 EST 2006

On 30/12/06, Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:

> That's interesting, because I thought he came close to making it
> believable, not because of the slavery, but because of the SCHOOL.
> School is all about manufacturing consent,

But mostly fails. I'm reading Stephen Mintz's book on American
childhood (Huck's Raft) and it reminded me -- I had forgotten-- of the
riots in American schools and colleges in the 1740s over all sorts of
things.

As is frequently pointed out during the "oh my god the teacher's gay"
rows, if teachers were really so good at convincing students to change
their sexuality, they'd be a lot better at teaching geography,
physics, or anything else you'd care to name.

Mintz has a lot to say about slave children as well as it happens. He
reminds us of the 3,000 ex slaves interviewed in the Depression. Every
single one of them remembered small acts of resistance--the most
touching was that slave children's games tended not ot have an
elmination factor , the concept of "you're out" was too close to their
expeirence of family destruction.

Farah