[DWJ] Attitude

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sat Dec 30 15:37:28 EST 2006

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
|On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:28:24 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:
|
|>I think preachiness is a criticism that I make of books that tend to be
|>lacking in other qualities, like the message is the only thing the book
|>has going for it - no good characters or interesting plot or other
|>redeeming feature. That horrible Rainbow Fish book that Melissa hates so
|>much is a good example of a preachy book, plus its message SUCKS.
|
|Because it's EVIL.   <shudder>  They put those stupid foil shiny bits on it
|to hypnotize children and suck their brains out through their noses.  You
|know it's true.  :)
|
|So which is worse:  a preachy book with no other redeeming qualities, or a
|well-written book that's preaching something awful?

Yeah, the Rainbow Fish is a triple whammy:
- hideous message
- which exists only to preach and has not other redeeming
  characteristics
- which is badly written and succeeds only through marketing
  gimmicks

Artistically I'd rather have a preachy book that preaches
something awful -- heck, I'm sure I love several -- but of course
pedagogically I'd rather avoid both. ;)

Actually, that's not true.  I think well-written books that
preach something awful are an important part of this balanced
breakfast.  Give readers an assortment of flavors and let them
choose amongst.

That being said, I can't watch Sleepless in Seattle or any number
of other movies because, while I don't mind a message I disagree
with in *books*, I can't stand one in movies.

-deborah
--
I read Proust in my room while eating marzipan.
	-- Walter Benjamin, 1926