[DWJ] Best(etc.) Books of the Year

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 30 14:07:17 EST 2006

Farah Mendlesohn wrote:

> I hated the book because it perpetrated the Great Lie about
> slavery/oppression, that there is such a thing as a slave mentality
> and that people will become passive and just accept it.

That's interesting, because I thought he came close to making it
believable, not because of the slavery, but because of the SCHOOL.
School is all about manufacturing consent, and I thought that was one of
the really interesting things he was doing in the book - making that
point about how school shapes your thinking and makes it impossible to
question the doctrines that school makes orthodox. As someone who reads
lots of school stories, it made me think again about every single one of
them.

robyn