[DWJ] Attitude

Jennifer Rowland janamouse at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 30 11:21:53 EST 2006

robyn wrote:

>  Execution has a huge impact for me on degree of preachy-ness. Frexample,
>Charlotte's Web has a lot of strong messages about life and death, but I
>don't think it's preachy because it's well done. I mean, all that symbolism
>is there, but it isn't so overt that it interferes with the story.

Yes, I think what else the book has to offer has a large impact on how
preachy it seems. I would say that Sherri S Tepper has been writing books
with the same message for years, but how didactic they are varies. I can
happily reread Gate To Women's Country, but The Fresco is grit-my-teeth
annoying.

Maybe it's like fanfic- some authors are better at squashing Mary-Sue
Message until she turns into a real character, while others let her get away
with warping the story.
Jennifer