[DWJ] Best Books of 2006 (complete with silly categories, and much longer than it should be )

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Sat Dec 30 08:09:29 EST 2006

Hallie wrote:

>Every time I think
> I've gone for the latter, I remember something like the perfect
> lightness-of-touch which which JM snuck in the self-harming in
> Finding Cassie Crazy, and I hesitate again.

Hee! I remember recommending *Finding Cassie Crazy* on this list a
while back as the best extant YA book about self-harm, even though
it's not actually about self-harm... For me, JM wins hands-down over
the Casson family books (I agree too much with DWJ's review of
*Permanent Rose* to be completely in love with them, though I also
agree with you about the prose - McKay's a stunning stylist), but
you're right that Bindy isn't up there with the first two. Which is
such a shame - I was so excited when I heard Bindy was getting the
third book!

> Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson.

Hmm. I may have to reread this - I didn't think it was that memorable,
and I just Googled it and found out that the specific Trauma in it is
one of the ones I look out for in books, but I'd completely forgotten
it was even in there. Which could mean anything, really.

And I'll look out for *The Boyfriend List* (fluffy title + trauma
sounds like my cup of tea!)

Love, Ika