[DWJ] Attitude

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Sat Dec 30 03:32:39 EST 2006

On Saturday 30 December 2006 09:15, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:28:24 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

> > That horrible Rainbow Fish book that
> > Melissa hates so much is a good example of a preachy book, plus its
> > message SUCKS.
>
> Because it's EVIL.   <shudder>  They put those stupid foil shiny bits
> on it to hypnotize children and suck their brains out through their
> noses.  You know it's true.  :)

Fortunately I have hypnotism-resistant children (though one of the twins
wore her sister's Rainbow Fish T-shirt to shreds between the ages of
three and nine, because it was the right shade of blue). They got given
it by their grandmother, who was clueless or malicious or probably
both, and loved the way it looked but questioned the message right from
the start, "if everybody is the same, nobody has anything to be happy
about, right?" Obviously *we* had given them the right message :-)

> So which is worse:  a preachy book with no other redeeming qualities,
> or a well-written book that's preaching something awful?

A well-written book that's preaching something awful, of course!

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 24-Dec-2006