[DWJ] Best(etc.) Books of the Year

Sat Dec 30 01:03:38 EST 2006

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:09:35 -0500, Amy Lee Bennett wrote:

>*Strangest Reading Experience: Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro. Though
>what was really strange for me was the class discussion where people
>seemed totally hung up on the sci-fi aspect. As a sci-fi reader, I
>figured out what was going on within the first 5 pages, but apparently
>some of my classmates were thrown for a loop, and didn't like it.

It's easy to forget, when you read SF, that it's a specialized kind of
reading.  I think a lot of the buzz over the Ishiguro book (not that it
wasn't great and deserving of buzz) was because so many literary readers had
no idea how to appreciate the SF aspects of it.  I mean, really, to a Bujold
reader the cloning in _Never Let Me Go_ is positively pale.  What surprised
me was that even now that cloning has actually been attempted, so many
readers seemed never to have considered the implications as Ishiguro
describes them--at least this is the impression I get from the reviews and
commentary I've seen.  Poor, uneducated literary readers.  :)

Melissa Proffitt