[DWJ] Best Books of 2006

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Dec 29 08:57:31 EST 2006

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:
|I started to read backwards and realised that Bujold may be one of the
|most powerfully feminist writers we have in the field--all in these
|brightly colored military sf packages.

I am not a gender essentialist by any stretch of the imagination,
so I used to find Bujold's motherhood-centricism rather
off-putting.  I read it as a belief in some overwhelming heroism
of motherhood which is not a belief I share.  However, now that
Bujold's written far more outside the Vorkosigan-verse I've come
to believe  that it was less at trait of Bujold's writing than it
was a trait of Cordelia and a product of the technology and
culture of that universe.  I find Ista to be a refreshing
conterpoint to Cordelia in her perspective on motherhood and
self, and my love for Ista makes me love Cordelia the more.

-deborah
--
"I assume that some great catastrophe has occured that would
require us to sit upon a weeping lady?"