[DWJ] Best Books of 2006

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 06:17:18 EST 2006

On 29/12/06, minnow at belfry.org.uk <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:
  People one cares about
> get hurt and damaged in Bujold.
>
> Minnow

I had a very bizarre reading experience last year: I had to read all
of Joanna Russ's work for a book I was working on, but you can't read
Russ straight through because her work is so angry,. So I began
alternating with Bujold.

Blow me if I didn't start to see Bujold channeling Russ. The point
when Cordelia observes that she has undermined the entire social
structure of Barrayar by:

introducting external incubators
persuading mothers-in-law to refuse marriage contracts that don't include them
persuading young mothers to choose girls to screw up the gender
balance on Barrayar.

I started to read backwards and realised that Bujold may be one of the
most powerfully feminist writers we have in the field--all in these
brightly colored military sf packages.

Farah