[DWJ] Best Books of 2006

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 17:02:29 EST 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Roger Burton West
Other great books I read this year:

Everything I could get hold of by Nevil Shute (all but two). Very fine
stuff, and I'd have read him years ago if I hadn't been at school in the
1970s/1980s and therefore been more or less ordered to read _On the
Beach_ so that I'd be properly terrified by anything nuclear. (I managed
to avoid reading it then, though I'm not quite sure how).

My late father-in-law once worked with Nevil Shute and had some of his drawing instruments (alas not his slide rule). I have a T-square which may have been his. If it was, it is rather loose and may explain the R101. ( a good anecdote spoiled by the fact that I've been told he designed the quite successful R100 not the R101 which crashed in 1931)

Jon