[DWJ] Attitude

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 28 16:45:07 EST 2006

minnow discoursed eloquently on the subject of children with independent
minds:

I have been following a similar philosophy with my daughter with the
result that she often gets called a "free spirit" in tones which vary
from approving to mildly disgusted. There is a certain brand of teacher
who finds children who can think for themselves frightening and
repulsive. My daughter got a very low mark for "works independently" in
her new school, which surprised me because she had 3 years of Montesorri
pre-school. Curiously, I asked her new teacher what her criteria were,
and it turns out that "works independently" actually means "sits down
quietly and does what I just told her to do."

robyn