[DWJ] Best Books of 2006

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Dec 28 07:22:44 EST 2006

In <200612280829.15863.irina at valdyas.org>, Irina Rempt wrote:
[of Roger saying he'd enjoyed Nevil Shute's books]

>Hmm, I think I should try them once more. My mother liked them, which
>was a major disincentive when I was younger (like Georgette Heyer; I
>still daren't read that). I'll keep avoiding _On the Beach_, though.

I think it's one of his weakest; it has nothing much to say except
"nuclear war is a bad idea and it will make people unhappy", and I think
we knew that already.

Would it help you want to give Georgette Heyer another chance to know
that DWJ has all of them (well, all the Regencies; her sister pinched
the modern detective ones) and likes them?  'Cos she has and does, and
even occasionally discusses them with other weirdoes who enjoy wromance
that's funny.

Minnow