[DWJ] Best Books of 2006

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Thu Dec 28 02:29:15 EST 2006

On Thursday 28 December 2006 01:00, Roger Burton West wrote:

> Other great books I read this year:
>
> Everything I could get hold of by Nevil Shute (all but two). Very
> fine stuff, and I'd have read him years ago if I hadn't been at
> school in the 1970s/1980s and therefore been more or less ordered to
> read _On the Beach_ so that I'd be properly terrified by anything
> nuclear. (I managed to avoid reading it then, though I'm not quite
> sure how).

Hmm, I think I should try them once more. My mother liked them, which
was a major disincentive when I was younger (like Georgette Heyer; I
still daren't read that). I'll keep avoiding _On the Beach_, though.

> All the Vorkosigans, in chronological order. Because I finally got
> hold of all of them, and could.

Those, on the other hand, I've tried, and ignored the fact that I
bounced hard off them about three books too long because the person who
had recommended them was so insistent that they were just the thing for
me.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 24-Dec-2006