[DWJ] Best Books of 2006

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 27 14:48:29 EST 2006

Yay! Melissa's list. I will now go to amazon and order some things she
liked.

I totally agree with you about the Bujold. It was probably my worst book
of the year because it was so different to what I wanted, and then not a
good book in and of itself. Pooh to it.

Also disappointing: Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things. It was mostly stories
I have read before in other places, and the ones that were new weren't
very good. Too much horror-leaning Gaiman, not enough fantasy.

Surprisingly good: Prisoner of Trebekistan by Bob Harris. He annoyed me
throughout the book because I don't think I like him, but it was still
very entertaining and readable.

Living up to expectations: The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory.
Lots of historical fiction makes me fling it across the room because of
its historical innacuracies, but Gregory doesn't do that. This book
isn't quite as good as some of the others, but definitely worth reading.

Enjoying very much at the moment: The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna
Clarke. I know lots of people didn't adore Jonathan Strange and Mr
Norrell like I did, though, and this is more of the same.

robyn