[DWJ] review site

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 05:43:42 EST 2006

On 26/12/06, Chris Dollin <eh at electric-hedgehog.net> wrote:

> > DWJ has two books reviewed... HIDDEN TURNINGS and THE HOMEWARD BOUNDERS.
> > Both come out Good for style and Unobjectionabe for attitude.
>
> I would have said that /tHB/, read all the way to the end, certainly does
> foster a positive value, or at least a value that that some cultures view
> as positive -- sacrificing one's own opportunities to protect others.
>
> ("But you wouldn't believe how lonely it gets.")

And that you shouldn't accept "revealed wisdom". And that game playing
with people's lives (ie most politics) is wrong; and that if the rules
are oppressive you should climb right out of them (reiterated in The
Sage of Threare). And that the natives always get brutalised by
colonials if they dare to retaliate. And probably rather a lot of
other rather subversive ideas.

Farah