[DWJ] Urgent request for suggestions

Mon Dec 11 14:30:05 EST 2006

Robyn asked:
I just got asked at the last minute to teach lit for young children (up
to 8) again, and of course this means some of my books from last year,
which are a little harder to get, are not going to be viable choices.
I'm looking for good picture book suggestions, for things that are
easily available (so probably newer, or "classic").

Is this a place where the Caldecott awards and honors list might be
helpful?  It's at
http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/caldecottmed
al/caldecottmedal.htm
It is a US list, I don't know how that would affect availability either.
Also - The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Lane Scieszka; any of
the Frances books (A Bargain for Frances was actually cited in a Slate
article on economics); Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus or Kitten's
First Full Moon or Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems; (Each Peach Pear Plum is
by the Ahlbergs);

Alison