[DWJ] DWJ, Time of the Ghost, and awful childhoods

Jennifer Rowland janamouse at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 11 06:15:48 EST 2006

SPOILERS

Deborah wrote:
>Now that I think of it, TotG is so pessimistic that there's no hope at all
>for the child protagonists.  One interpretation
>is that the child protagonists are doomed, but they have one hope: to grow
>up as quickly as possible, because childhood is going to suck like nobody's
>business, and if they can get it over with as quickly as possible they can
>get on with the less miserable parts of life.

I think knowing that they've cheated Moniganm and saved Sally-in-the-future
would give them a much more concrete sense of there being a future time when
they could get away, though- if they can look after each other for a few
more years thay'll be all right.

>Not really a children's book conclusion at all, when you think
>about it.

Ah! I suspect that you've put your finger on what always makes me think of
TotG as a YA, and be surprised by how young the protagonists a re when I
reread it.

Jennifer