[DWJ] Slightly OT... but still fantasy

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 11 04:53:22 EST 2006

Has anyone else noted the similarities between THE FOLK KEEPER (Franny
Billingsley) and THE PERILOUS GARD (Elizabeth Marie Pope)?

Both heroines spend time closed in underground. Both learn a new grace and
agility while there. Both are taken from familiar surroundings to a strange
and remote manor.  The difference is that Kate is a likable person, while
Corinna, mostly, is not. I'd be interested to know how other people feel
about Corinna. I find revenge a highly nasty trait... but maybe that is
colouring my response to her.
ODWJM
Compare with Polly in FaH... Polly has unusual hair (though not as odd as
Corinna's) and Polly, Kate and Corinna are all tempted to use a kind of
magic... though Kate doesn't fall into the trap).

Come to think of it, Polly isn't entirely admirable, but I never actually
dislike her.

Sallyo.