[DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 16, Issue 10

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sun Dec 10 13:39:32 EST 2006

> >I just got asked at the last minute to teach lit for young children (up
> >to 8) again, and of course this means some of my books from last year,
> >which are a little harder to get, are not going to be viable choices.

At the age of 8 I was enormously chuffed at reading The Secret Garder5, in an
edition with not pictures. But we're probably trying not to be exceptionally
anecdotal here.

However, I will say that my family did not buy books and apart from some
tattered survivors from my mother's childhood (Oz books mostly) the only books I
owned were of the Little Golden variety.

Some of those have perfectly good stories. You might want to check some of
them out.

And of course Beatrix Potter's books which contain vocabularies which no one
in publishing would think to trust a young child with these days.