[DWJ] Urgent request for suggestions

estairm at yahoo.com estairm at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 01:41:43 EST 2006

Robyn wrote:

Hi List
I just got asked at the last minute to teach lit for
young children (up to 8) again, and of course this
means some of my books from last year, which are a
little harder to get, are not going to be viable
choices. I'm looking for good picture book
suggestions, for things
that are easily available (so probably newer, or
"classic").

Me:

I've just checked a list of books that my kids loved
to pieces (destroyed) and I want to get again because
they were so good.

Top of the list is Once upon a Time by John Prater and
Vivian French.  It is a book about a little boy
commenting in good, simple rhyme about his boring day,
while all around him different fairy tales are in
action.  The pictures have a lot of charm and good
details -- it takes several readings to catch them
all.    It is hard to capture this great book in
words, you have to see it.

I also have The Legend of the BlueBonnet by Tomie
DePaola and There's an Alligator under my Bed by
Mercer Mayer.

I've only checked availability on Once upon a Time,
and it seems pretty available from internet sources --
and very cheap.

Best,
Esther
in Israel