[DWJ] Urgent request for suggestions

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Dec 9 18:48:02 EST 2006

Robyn wrote:

>I just got asked at the last minute to teach lit for young children (up
>to 8) again, and of course this means some of my books from last year,
>which are a little harder to get, are not going to be viable choices.
>I'm looking for good picture book suggestions, for things that are
>easily available (so probably newer, or "classic"). Currently on the list:

[snip]

I hesitate to suggest, knowing your views on *Stalky*, but Kipling's *Just
So Stories* have recently been a great hit with several people of my
acquaintance between ages five and eight.  They especially like "How the
Rhinoseros Got His Skin" (the hat of more than oriental splendour leads to
discusion of what sort of hat that might be), "Old Man Kangaroo" (needs to
be read aloud for the full effect) and "The Cat Who Walked By Himself",
with the Whale's throat and the Leopard's spots up there in the top few
too.  I suppose this book ought to be available in print and with the right
illustrations -- it does need to be the original ones, because of the
commentary on each picture that goes with it -- though I haven't looked for
them?

Minnow