[DWJ] Urgent request for suggestions

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Dec 9 16:34:11 EST 2006

Robyn asked...

> I just got asked at the last minute to teach lit for young children (up to
> 8) again, and of course this means some of my books from last year, which
> are a little harder to get, are not going to be viable choices. I'm
> looking for good picture book suggestions, for things that are easily
> available (so probably newer, or "classic").

Do "cartoon" books count?  If so, I'd add some Raymond Briggs to the list, I
think.  "Father Christmas" and "Father Christmas Goes On Holiday" were huge
favourites in our house, not least because they present such a subversive
view of Santa.  "Fungus the Bogeyman" is another delight.

It might also be worth considering some of the Asterix books.

In more classic picture book mode, we also loved the "Orlando the Marmalade
Cat" books (Kathleen Hale) and "Madeline" by Ludwig Bemelmans.

HTH

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian (now with a mad urge to go out and buy picture books).
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"I will not trust you, I,
Nor longer stay in your curst company.
Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray;
My legs are longer though to run away."
-Wm. Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"