[DWJ] losing words (was Tropes and other such)

estairm at yahoo.com estairm at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 8 01:06:58 EST 2006

Minnow wrote:

Does it matter, if in the end one cannot say "I care
for you" without it having a negative connotation that
stifles the impulse at birth, and the dying father
(who would shy away embarrassed from "I love you") is
left uncomforted (though fed and washed)?

Me:

What about "I care about you", or is that too
American?

And on the uninterested/disinterested subject, about
25 years ago, in a junior-year no-fiction writing
class, the prof asked us to explain the difference.  I
was the only one who could.  He was visibly surprised
and asked if I planned to be a lawyer.  I didn't slay
him with a glance, but did answer, hoity-toity, like
Bridget Jones, the I "read a lot."

He was actually a good teacher, AND invited the whole
bunch of us to his house for pizza once....