[DWJ] Tropes

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Thu Dec 7 15:20:10 EST 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 08:08:12PM -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>When an author tells me that the heroine's spaceship is eleventy-billion
>kilometres from the other spaceship, I tend to snarl, "why can't you use
>light-years, you stupid bugger?", and to decide that the stupid bugger probably
>thinks a light-year is a unit of time.

Well, there's still a factor of nearly 10,000 difference between 10^9km
and one light year.

Of course, what matters isn't the distance at all - it's the time it
would take to cover that distance. Fictional spacedrives vary so much
that one author's quarter-AU can be a longer distance than another's
seventeen parsecs...