[DWJ] Tropes (was: trolling for ideas/suggestions)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Dec 7 13:03:23 EST 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Minnow wrote:
|I was trying to explain how "trope" is used by Clute and thus by extension
|by most SF and fantasy critics, rather than how it might properly have been
|defined in the first place.  I suspect the "new" usage of being the result
|of back-formation, and having its origin in Sarraute's coinage "tropism"
|having been somewhat misunderstood in translation, meself.

Or most literary critics and scholars in general.  I didn't know
the old meaning, Ika -- that's interesting.  I learned it as a
literary term meaning what's apparently the new meaning, in both
undergraduate and graduate education.  That's cool to know.

*toddles off to check M. H. Abrams*

-deborah
--
There were green alligators, and long necked geese
Humpty-backed camels and chimpanzees