[DWJ] losing words (was Tropes and other such)

Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 7 08:36:24 EST 2006

This is the so-called Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, isn't it? I seem to remember reading what seemed at the time to be an interesting critique of it (at least in its strong version) in Steven Pinker's book, *The Language Instinct*. One of Pinker's objections concerned how language could ever be acquired, if our ability to think were entirely dependent on pre-existing linguistic knowledge. And then - ah, but I forget the finer details... This was a good ten years ago, when I dreamed of editing a Selected Works of John Wilkins (who's another story altogether). It's a fascinating question, anyway!

  Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk