[DWJ] Tropes

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Thu Dec 7 04:19:20 EST 2006

> Me:

> I always get confused about this, and have stopped using both the word
> 'trope' and the word 'topos' as a result... on the grounds that my
definition and
> common usage seem to have parted ways for good.

Colin:
Or to put it another way, the meaning has changed.

It's a common plaint of those who are careful about their choice of
words: "this word's meaning has changed, so if I use it in the way I am
familiar with I risk being misunderstood, but I can't bring myself to
use it in the new way, so I will just avoid using it".

Me again:
I know, I'll get over it eventually - it's not so much (at least I hope not)
that I'm trying to arbitrarily stop the English language at the point where
I was comfortable with it, it's that current usage is at odds with the
definitions in current reference books - and since they're not words I'd use
much except when I was teaching, and I confuse my students enough already, I
try to avoid them.

love, Ika