[DWJ] Re: Song - Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Aug 31 22:53:32 EDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> Devra said...
>
> > There is a second verse, where the girl lists what she wants the guy to
> > do - unfortunately I am suffering from brain depletion right now and can't
> > remember the words. *sigh* Maybe next month...
>
> The best-known version these days is the Simon&Garfunkel version, which
> mixes the girl's and boy's tasks.  IIRC, originally, the girl is asked to:
>
> Make a cambric shirt without any seam or needlework;
> Wash it in yonder dry well where water ne'er sprang nor drop of rain fell;
> Dry it on yonder thorn which never bore blossom since Adam was born.
>
> And the boy is asked to:
>
> Find an acre of land between the salt water and the sea-sand;
> Plough it with a lamb's horn and sow it all over with one peppercorn;
> Reap it with a sickle of leather and bind it up with with a rope of heather
> (or a peacock's feather).
>
> The girl then finishes up by saying snarkily "And when he's done and
> finished his work, he may come to me for his cambric shirt".
>
> It's a folk-song, though, so there are probably lots of variants out there;
> that's just the one I know.
>
> (Talking of folk-songs, does anyone happen to have a full set of verses for
> "The Water Is Wide" and an idea of what order they go in?  That's a
> seriously disjointed song.  ObDWJ: Cart sings one of its verses, loudly and
> out of tune, in "The Time of the Ghost".)
>
> Until the sky falls on our heads...
>
> Dorian.

I happened to hear an a capella group perform an arrangement of
"Scarborough Fair" today.  Having been primed by this discussion, I paid
very careful attention to the lyrics.  They only sung the boy's task
verses, but they sung them all using the pronoun "she."  I was amused, in
particular as it was a mixed gender group, so they could have done both
sets of verses if they had wanted to ;-).

					---Kyra

---
Sid on moral philosophy: "It's a trick question, isn't it?  The torture
thing?"
				---Rebecca Borgstrom, _Hitherby Dragons_