[DWJ] Re: Song - Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 31 02:15:37 EDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> The best-known version these days is the Simon&Garfunkel version,
> which mixes the girl's and boy's tasks.  IIRC, originally,
-snip-
> The girl then finishes up by saying snarkily "And when he's done and
> finished his work, he may come to me for his cambric shirt".

Put like that, the riddle-game interpretation I mentioned earlier
starts to sound more convincing.

(And now that you mention them, I remember those extra verses being in
the version we were given to look at at the time.)

> Talking of folk-songs, does anyone happen to have a full set of
> verses for "The Water Is Wide" and an idea of what order they go in?
> That's a seriously disjointed song.

Two possibilities:

http://www.contemplator.com/england/water.html

http://ingeb.org/songs/owalywal.html

(I notice that the second one doesn't include the "water is wide"
verse at all, suggesting that it accumulated from somewhere else.
I am not surprised; it always did seem the odd one out.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."