[DWJ] Re: Song - Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Aug 30 16:05:29 EDT 2006

Devra said...

> There is a second verse, where the girl lists what she wants the guy to
> do - unfortunately I am suffering from brain depletion right now and can't
> remember the words. *sigh* Maybe next month...

The best-known version these days is the Simon&Garfunkel version, which
mixes the girl's and boy's tasks.  IIRC, originally, the girl is asked to:

Make a cambric shirt without any seam or needlework;
Wash it in yonder dry well where water ne'er sprang nor drop of rain fell;
Dry it on yonder thorn which never bore blossom since Adam was born.

And the boy is asked to:

Find an acre of land between the salt water and the sea-sand;
Plough it with a lamb's horn and sow it all over with one peppercorn;
Reap it with a sickle of leather and bind it up with with a rope of heather
(or a peacock's feather).

The girl then finishes up by saying snarkily "And when he's done and
finished his work, he may come to me for his cambric shirt".

It's a folk-song, though, so there are probably lots of variants out there;
that's just the one I know.

(Talking of folk-songs, does anyone happen to have a full set of verses for
"The Water Is Wide" and an idea of what order they go in?  That's a
seriously disjointed song.  ObDWJ: Cart sings one of its verses, loudly and
out of tune, in "The Time of the Ghost".)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"I will not trust you, I,
Nor longer stay in your curst company.
Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray;
My legs are longer though to run away."
-Wm. Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"