Impossible tasks (was Re: [DWJ] Catching up)

Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania.s at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 14:51:22 EDT 2006

> This story doesn't seem to be in the two or three collections of Arthur I
> have around the place at the moment.  Help?  A magic pig being involved,
> plus the name Olwen, makes me suspect it may be another refugee from the
> Nab-a-moggy.
>
> Minnow

It's 'Kilhwch ac Olwen' and the pig is (IIRC) Twrch Trwyth. It's the
earliest extant story with Arthur in it. I read it in the original middle
Welsh during the Celtic Studies degree course (some years ago now). It's not
one of the Four Branches of the Mabinogi but it's usually included in
combined editions.

Ania