[DWJ] Wire in the Blood

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Tue Aug 29 21:19:28 EDT 2006

Sally Odgers <sodgers at iinet.net.au> wrote:>Melissa said; The later ones...well, I can only take so much of the >torture,
>rape
> and slavery.

>... which reminds me of the TV series of Val McDirmid's (sp?) WIRE >IN THE
>BLOOD.  We've just been having the new series and I've half-decided >not to
>watch it any more. I like the set-up, and the main characters, and the >plots
>are ingenious, but I'm fed up with the graphic and very nasty violence.

>ODWJ - DWJ goes in for nasty charactes, and nasty situations but >she's not
>GRAPHIC.  Mind you... she's a children's writer. So is/was John >Christopher
>though, and he (in that trilogy (The Tripods?)... CITY OF GOLD AND >LEAD etc)
>got a bit nasty. Or maybe my memory is making more of it than there >was.

  I watched the first episode of Wire in the Blood and really enjoyed the  characters, plot, and all-around feel of the show, except all the  violence.  I was wondering if I was unusually squeamish, since I  can watch CSI without turning a hair.  I think it was kind of a  psychological graphic-ness that got me with Wire in the Blood -- yet  the psychological dimension is also part of why I liked it so  much.  Still, I don't have plans to watch more episodes.

  I love that DWJ isn't graphic.  I take a lot of evil characters  and dastardly deeds as long as it doesn't get too much into blood and  pain and suchlike.

  EGH