[DWJ] Catching up

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Tue Aug 29 18:52:48 EDT 2006

At 12:16 PM 29/08/2006, Elizabeth Parks wrote:

>I read Catherine Asaro's Skolian books obsessively--I've read almost all of
>them at least three times, except the Last Hawk which I hated.  I can't
>_stand_ anything else she's written, though--her Luna books, especially, are
>just so bad I can't believe it.  She's not a literary author, and her
>sentences aren't particilary accomplished, but in some of her books she gets
>this great mix going on, and it helps that she managed to create a family
>(strike one) of superbeautiful (strike two) and supersuperintelligent
>(strike three, and in most books you're out) who care about each other a lot
>(which is probably three strikes in and of itself) and still make them kind
>of likeable.  She has won prizes--she beat out Connie Willis' {Passage: with
>one of her not-so-wonderful books, The Quantum Rose, which was one of those
>rape-happy ones, and which I think won solely because she plotted the story
>using some mathmatical/musical concept, and it was faily impressive--but I
>can't remember because that's one of the ones I don't reread as much.

Those superbeautiful characters really got to me after a while. There's
only so many big busted, small waisted women with gorgeous long hair that I
can believe in.

I think I read a recent book of hers that had toned down the violent sex -
perhaps she figured out that it was getting annoying?

Emma, another reader who liked Asaro's earlier books but couldn't believe
that Quantam Rose won a Nebula.