[DWJ] Catching up

Tue Aug 29 18:44:17 EDT 2006

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:16:03 -0400, Elizabeth Parks wrote:

>2006/8/28, Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at proffitt.com>:
>>
>> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:46:18 -0600, Robyn Starkey wrote:
>>
>> >Urg. I find all Asaro's books are like this, with the added twist that
>> >she seems to be disturbingly into torture, rape and slavery. I read a
>> >couple, but they gave me the heebies.
>>
>> Her earliest books aren't nearly so much this way, and I liked them a lot
>> better.  The later ones...well, I can only take so much of the torture,
>> rape
>> and slavery.
>>
>> Melissa Proffitt
>

>I read Catherine Asaro's Skolian books obsessively--I've read almost all of
>them at least three times, except the Last Hawk which I hated.

I hated that one too.  I slogged through it because, coming off _Catch the
Lightning_, I believed it would improve.  But no.  The game they played with
Platonic solids was interesting to imagine, so it wasn't a total loss.  But
I don't see myself re-reading it ever.

>She has won prizes--she beat out Connie Willis' {Passage: with
>one of her not-so-wonderful books, The Quantum Rose, which was one of those
>rape-happy ones, and which I think won solely because she plotted the story
>using some mathmatical/musical concept, and it was faily impressive--but I
>can't remember because that's one of the ones I don't reread as much.

The Nebula was a surprise.  Much as I didn't think the book was as good as
_Passage_ (or _Declare_ or _Tower at Stony Wood_, for that matter) I was
impressed that the SFWA voters were willing to give the award to a "romance
author."  Because she really is, at heart, a writer of romance fiction that
happens to have scientific plotlines.  I don't see this as a problem,
myself, but romance is such a stigmatized genre that I think it's hard for
many readers to take it seriously.  I do admire Asaro's efforts to build a
cross-genre audience (that's sort of what _Irresistable Forces_ was all
about); I just wish she didn't have quite so much sexualized violence in her
stories.

Melissa Proffitt