[DWJ] Catching up

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 22:16:03 EDT 2006

2006/8/28, Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at proffitt.com>:

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:46:18 -0600, Robyn Starkey wrote:
>
> >Urg. I find all Asaro's books are like this, with the added twist that
> >she seems to be disturbingly into torture, rape and slavery. I read a
> >couple, but they gave me the heebies.
>
> Her earliest books aren't nearly so much this way, and I liked them a lot
> better.  The later ones...well, I can only take so much of the torture,
> rape
> and slavery.
>
> Melissa Proffitt

I read Catherine Asaro's Skolian books obsessively--I've read almost all of
them at least three times, except the Last Hawk which I hated.  I can't
_stand_ anything else she's written, though--her Luna books, especially, are
just so bad I can't believe it.  She's not a literary author, and her
sentences aren't particilary accomplished, but in some of her books she gets
this great mix going on, and it helps that she managed to create a family
(strike one) of superbeautiful (strike two) and supersuperintelligent
(strike three, and in most books you're out) who care about each other a lot
(which is probably three strikes in and of itself) and still make them kind
of likeable.  She has won prizes--she beat out Connie Willis' {Passage: with
one of her not-so-wonderful books, The Quantum Rose, which was one of those
rape-happy ones, and which I think won solely because she plotted the story
using some mathmatical/musical concept, and it was faily impressive--but I
can't remember because that's one of the ones I don't reread as much.

I would definitely consider her a guilty pleasure. . ..

lizzie