[DWJ] Catching up

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Mon Aug 28 05:58:13 EDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 10:36:31PM -0400, Kyla Mackay-Smith wrote:

>My main reaction to the story by Catherine Asaro was "this woman has been
>getting *awards*?" I feel that there could have been an interesting story
>in there, had she gone with the arranged marriage, but no, we had to read
>about stupid teenagers running off because they're sooooo in looooove.

I've enjoyed everything else I've read of hers (which is most of what
she's written) rather more than that. I can only assume that she was
aiming for a particular style in order to appeal to the romance readers
at whom the book was mostly marketed (possibly incorrectly, but I don't
know any romance readers who aren't also SF/fantasy readers so I can't
say). Either that or she had fallen for the characters and failed to
make us do so as well...