[DWJ] Re: Nettle Shirts

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 24 20:03:14 EDT 2006

Someone, maybe Paul, said:

>In the version I know, she's explicitly his ex, so it always made
sense to me as an elaborate version of "We might get together again
some day - let me know if you see Satan >buying ice skates..."

...and I, coming in late after being disconnected for a while, wonder if
this song is "Scarborough Fair".

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme - herbs
Remember me to one who lives there - she once was a true love of mine.
Tell her to make me a cambric shirt
(Parsley......)
Without no seams or needlework..
Then she'll be a true love of mine.

There are lots of different versions, but the one I know is the Simon and
Garfunkel one. There's something about another version at
http://www.geocities.com/paris/villa/3895/

Oddly, the narrator isn't talking to his ex, but asking someone else to talk
to her on his behalf.

Sallyo.