[DWJ] Wildwood Dancing

Aimee Smith aimees001 at netspace.net.au
Thu Aug 24 18:00:48 EDT 2006

 >Emma said:
 >I really enjoyed "Wildwood dancing", both for the fairytales but
also the
 >Translyvania setting. I thought it was really well done.

Emma, that's exactly what I liked!
And I think, thanks to Isobelle Carmody, I'm also partial to first
person narrative.
Are the other (adult/longer) books not as good?
Aimee.

Minor but fairly general/cryptic spoilers:

I liked that it was so *real* - her having to manage running the
household, to deal with her chauvanist cousin and her sisters and
everything else spiralling out of control, etc.
I loved most the historical Eastern-European setting. Also the
interweaving of Transylvanian folklore/the fairy kingdom - the feel
of it was very much fairytale realism, hence the similarities to
Robin McKinley, though it was darker and stranger than RMK because of
the cultural setting. And I did like the characters.
Kathleen remarked that Marillier almost did with Tadeus what
Pratchett did with Vlad, and I do think it would have been
interesting to have investigated him a bit more. I can see why she
didn't really need to though.
Plus, it was so *very* pretty!
Oh! and the teeny twist at the end of Tati's story!