[DWJ] Fairytale retellings

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 24 07:37:46 EDT 2006

At 09:21 PM 23/08/2006, Aimee Smith wrote:
>Yay! I love fairytales and retellings!
>My three favourite fairytales have always been Beauty and the Beast,
>The Wild Swans, and The Twelve Dancing Princesses. In no particular
>order.
>My Mum's old book of Andersen's fairy tales has eleven brothers, a
>sleeveless nettle shirt, and the king being deceived by jealous
>people in the palace.
>I prefer the Beast as a Beast but am glad he turns into a prince,
>because otherwise the marriage issue just gets problematical in my head.
>Did anyone else read Juliet Mariller's Twelve Dancing Princesses
>retelling 'Wildwood Dancing'? I read it recently, loved it (though,
>truth, it might have been better in some ways), reminded me strongly
>of McKinley and it's the only Marillier's I've read. Would like to
>discuss.

I really enjoyed "Wildwood dancing", both for the fairytales but also the
Translyvania setting. I thought it was really well done. I only realised
after I read it that it was marketed as a YA in Australia, but perhaps the
shorter length was the reason I liked it more than Mariller's adult books.
And I'm afraid that's all the discussion I can provide as I'm falling
asleep :)

Emma