[DWJ] Cloth and paper (was Re: Buttons? was Cinderella Graph)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Aug 23 19:21:38 EDT 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 4:45 AM, Minnow wrote:

> I have been told that the reason cannabis is an illegal drug is that
> the
> best paper is made from hemp fibres, and the paper-making lobby wanted
> eliminate some competition at the time the classification of drugs was
> being sorted out.  I can't remember any details, but it does sound
> entirely
> possible, indeed downright plausible, given how un-dangerous cannabis
> actually is when compared to the drugs it is classed with.

Hemp is truly wonderful stuff.  It is not necessary to grow cannabis
sativa in order to get hemp that makes good paper, rope, and cloth.
Unfortunately, here in the USofA, people are so afraid that other
people might grow cannabis sativa that it's not allowed to grow
hemp at all.

There are three kinds of theoretical physicists:
those who understand math and those who
don't.