[DWJ] Nettles (was Re: Buttons? was Cinderella Graph)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Aug 23 06:45:25 EDT 2006

>Philip wrote:
>> PS a propos another branch of this thread, I once read that
>> nettles were introduced to the British Isles by the Romans,
>> who cultivated them for their fibres.

Jennifer speculated:
>I've been told that nettles tend to grow around man-made things- if you
>come across a clump of nettles in a wood, it's because there used to be
>a house there. (That might just be wrong, of course.) I'd assumed it was
>because they could get a foothold in disturbed ground, like poppies, but
>maybe they were deliberately planted?

Nobody planted the ones in Pa's orchard!  :-(  Specially not the ones in
the raspberry bed.

What *is* true is that they make very good compost.  And that if you have a
massive bank of them, you can cut half and spread the corpses over the
other half, and the dead ones will stifle the still-living and they will
die back -- but *I* think that's *cruel*.

Squeamish Minnow