[DWJ] Cloth and paper (was Re: Buttons? was Cinderella Graph)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Aug 23 06:45:24 EDT 2006

Philip wrote:

>PS a propos another branch of this thread, I once read that nettles were
>introduced to the British Isles by the Romans, who cultivated them for
>their fibres.  I've often wondered how easy it would be to cultivate
>nettles to make paper, given that the best paper is made not from wood
>but from cloth residues...

I have been told that the reason cannabis is an illegal drug is that the
best paper is made from hemp fibres, and the paper-making lobby wanted to
eliminate some competition at the time the classification of drugs was
being sorted out.  I can't remember any details, but it does sound entirely
possible, indeed downright plausible, given how un-dangerous cannabis
actually is when compared to the drugs it is classed with.

Thinking about what you actually asked, I have a feeling in the back of my
mind that I have heard of paper made from nettles, probably in some
William-Morrisish context, or possibly Dartington.

Cultivate them?  You'd need to *cultivate* them?  Not just leave a patch of
ground fallow and stand back for a couple of weeks, then....

(My father's garden is no longer getting the attention it did when he was
alive.  Need I say more about nettle-growing?)

Minnow