[DWJ] Re: Buttons

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Aug 23 06:13:50 EDT 2006

JOdel wrote:

> That one spins off from the panto version (I assume. We don't
> get panto this side of the pond) wherein Cinderella is a
> spoiled brat, the stepmother was her mother's best friend and
> the stepsisters are very nice girls who don't know what to do
> with her.
> ... The Demon King makes a match with the fairy godmother.

That sounds like a version I'd love to see! Apart from the Demon King,
it doesn't sound very panto-ish, though- the Ugly Sisters and the Wicked
Stepmother tend to be very much present. The stepmother is the Dame
character, the man playing a woman, and they usually take the
opportunity to have the sisters played by men as well. Most of the Dame
parts are mothers of the hero, it must be fun to do an eeeevil one.
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/stage/panto_2003/index.shtml has
apicture and interview with a Dame.)
Buttons is brought in because the Prince is the Principal Boy character,
played by a woman. (Can you say 'the Victorians, whatever their faults,
knew how to have fun', boys and girls? Well done! Now let's have a song.
I'll point out the words with my big stick...)
Jennifer
--
She's behind you!