[DWJ] Swan Brothers

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Wed Aug 23 00:17:48 EDT 2006

On 23/8/06 2:14 PM, "Paul Andinach" <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Judith Ridge wrote:
>
>> As for the Grimm version, it¹s called The Six Swans and the sister
>> has to make the shirts our of starflowers. Unusual to have six
>> brothers‹even numbers don¹t get much of a look-in in folk tales.
>
> Perhaps the thinking was that six brothers plus one sister makes
> seven all together. Seven is a very fairy tale number.
>

> Paul

Yes, I thought that shortly after I'd sent the message!

And I appreciated your thoughts on Perrault, Paul. In fact, I'm enjoying
this thread enormously‹my life is very much taken up with fairy tales,
feminism and retellings, as this is the focus of my post-graduate research.
(all that plus narrative theory.) So I'm keeping lists of retellings people
have enjoyed--very handy!

Judith

--
Judith Ridge