[DWJ] RE: Dwj Digest, Vol 12, Issue 18

Gill Othen gill at othen.fslife.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 20:15:47 EDT 2006

> Dorian wrote:

(MINNOW:)> Where *does* the story of the girl who makes shirts for her six
brothers  out of thistles to disenchant them from being swans come from?

*Seven* brothers, isn't it?  But anyway.  I couldn't swear to it, because
the book is in my parents' house and I'm not, but I *think* this one is
another Norse one; I'm fairly sure the book I know it from is a collection
of Norse tales.  (Must see if I can find that book when I'm over there
tomorrow.)

My memory is that it was an Irish tale and she made them shirts out of
nettles. (Fractionally more plausible, as nettles are fibrous like flax.) I
have one version which seems to link it to "The Wild Swans" group of stories
- brothers turned into swans, whose only hope is if she throws the nettle
shirts over them the one night in the year they resue human form briefly.

Shades of "Swan Lake", therefore...

Bloody incestuous these folk tales, if you ask me....

Gill