[DWJ] The Wild Swans

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Tue Aug 22 20:06:20 EDT 2006

Andersen wrote a version of The Wild Swans. According to a new picture book
edition I am looking at as I type, ³Unlike most of his stories, it drew its
plot from older sources (chiefly Grimm), yet no one else could have written
the version that we know.²  That from Naomi Lewis, who Knows Whereof She
Speaks.

I¹ve had a quick look in our collection of fairy tales‹the story doesn¹t
appear in ³Favourite Folk Tales from Norway², which is not to say it¹s NOT
from there, but I can¹t find a version of it in any of the European
collections aprt from Grimm. I¹ll keep looking. I have a book at home which
identifies the sources of individual Grimm stories (not all of them), so I
can check that to see if The Wild Swans is listed.

There are eleven brothers in Andersen¹s version.

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Assistant Editor (Acting)