[DWJ] Re: Buttons? was Cinderella Graph

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Aug 22 18:31:00 EDT 2006

Sue said...

> Re: Cinderella. As a child I always like M. M. Kaye's The Ordinary
> Princess,
> since Princess Amy runs away from home and then becomes a Cinderella by
> getting
> a job as a kitchen maid at two pfennigs a week. And it impressed me
> terribly
> that it would take her fifty weeks of work to have enough for a new dress.
> Plus
> when she breaks a plate it comes out of her salary. It brought a real,
> less
> romanticized, sense of class dynamics into the story.

Oh yes, that is such a lovely story.  And the Prince in it is rather
Buttons-ish, becoming Amy's friend and confidant, and appearing to her to be
another servant.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"I will not trust you, I,
Nor longer stay in your curst company.
Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray;
My legs are longer though to run away."
-Wm. Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"