[DWJ] Re: Buttons? was Cinderella Graph

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 22 17:36:01 EDT 2006

Ah, thanks for explaining the panto reference!

Re: Cinderella. As a child I always like M. M. Kaye's The Ordinary Princess,
since Princess Amy runs away from home and then becomes a Cinderella by getting
a job as a kitchen maid at two pfennigs a week. And it impressed me terribly
that it would take her fifty weeks of work to have enough for a new dress. Plus
when she breaks a plate it comes out of her salary. It brought a real, less
romanticized, sense of class dynamics into the story.

Of course she gets the Prince in the end . . .

Sue