[DWJ] Feeling sorry for Penelope (was Fire and Hemlock Question)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Aug 22 14:34:45 EDT 2006

Paul said...

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Elizabeth Bentley wrote:
>
>> The recent retelling of Cinderella by Shirley Hughes has her
>> refusing the Duke in favour of Buttons.
>
> It strikes me that this is a development that's been inevitable ever
> since Buttons was introduced to the story.
>
> (The classic version of the tale doesn't have *any* men apart from the
> Prince, does it? The fathers don't count.)

That's my recollection of it.  There is no rival to the Prince; the only
other men are Cinderella's father (except in the versions where he's dead)
and sometimes the Prince's father.  Both hardly more than spear-carriers, in
any case, and neither a possible rival for Cinderella's affection.

I must look for that Shirley Hughes version; I have an aversion to handsome
princes and would much rather see Cinderella marry someone else (just as I
always get annoyed when the Beast in "Beauty and the Beast" turns into a
prince).

Another nice retelling is by a friend of mine, Aislinn O'Louglinn; it's
called "Cinderella's Fella" and tells the prince's take on things.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"I will not trust you, I,
Nor longer stay in your curst company.
Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray;
My legs are longer though to run away."
-Wm. Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"