[DWJ] Feeling sorry for Penelope (was Fire and Hemlock Question)

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Mon Aug 21 10:30:21 EDT 2006

Ika and Rene were discussing:

>> About Cinderella:
>>
>>> she becomes the centre of someone else's universe
>>
>> But isn't it wrong to teach this to little girls?  These girls grow
>> up looking for this prince who just doesn't exist for most people ...
>> Then you end up with a woman like Ivy (F&H) who bought into all the
>> cultural myths about being female.
>
> Well, that's why I like the discussion in *Dancing on Knives*: it
> seems to me that 'wait around for a prince because that's your only
> purpose in life', which I agree isn't the greatest message for kids,
> is a very different thing from 'you are not the most important person
> in the world to your parents, but one day you *will* be important to
> someone'. I like the idea that the Cinderella story is trying to teach
> children that they deserve to be loved, which seems to me to be
> crucial - because otherwise you end up with a boy like Cat (Charmed
> Life), letting Gwendolen use his powers because he doesn't have enough
> sense of what is *his* to stop her.

I also think it worth pointing out that the message that Ika has taken
from "Dancing on Knives" is not gender-specific.  I rather like it
because it actually takes Cinderella further away from femininity myths
(someday my prince will come) towards issues that are important to all
children (Parents have their own concerns too).

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432